2017 AKPA Outstanding Young Research Award
Solicitation for Nominees
In order to recognize and promote excellence in research by outstanding young ethnic Korean Physicist in North America, the Outstanding Young Research Award (OYRA) has been awarded annually since 1994 by the Association of Korean Physicists in America (AKPA). The list of previous recipients is available on the AKPA website http://www/akpa.org/
- · Candidates are limited to ethnic Korean Physicists who are working at research universities/institutions or industrial/government laboratories in North America.
- · Candidates’ most recent Ph.D. must have been awarded on or after January 1, 2008. At the nomination, candidate must be within eight years from completion of his/her Ph.D. dissertation. Exceptions may apply. See footnote * below.
* The Award Committee may make exceptions for candidates who were awarded their Ph.D. prior to January 1, 2008 if their careers were disrupted due to military service, extended medical leave, child-rearing, and etc.
The Nomination and selection Process
- · Candidates must be nominated by the Chair or Head of the department where they are employed or by the candidate’s doctoral or postdoctoral advisor.
Candidates must submit the following materials to be considered for the OYRA:
- · A nomination letter that details the importance and impact of the candidate’s work with qualifications, initiative and research. Nomination Letter Deadline: December 1, 2016
- · Supporting Documents: Deadline December 15, 2016
o The candidate’s curriculum vitae including a list of the candidate’s scientific publications
o Representative publications by the candidate
o Three Letters of recommendation from other researchers in support of the candidate’s nomination.
- · Submission Instruction
“OYRA 2017 for <Candidate’s Last name, First name>”.
o To be considered, candidates must submit all required materials by the dates given below:
§ Nomination Letter: December 1, 2016, 11:59 pm EST
§ Supporting Document: December 15, 2016, 11:59 pm EST
- · Selection
Nominations are reviewed and candidates selected by the Award committee. Award winner(s) are selected on the basis of their scientific excellence and potential to become leaders in the scientific community through their contributions to the field. The winner(s) will be announced in January, 2017.
· Award Presentation
The award of $1,500 with a plaque will be presented at the AKPA annual meeting, which will be held in conjunction with an American Physical Society Meeting in the spring. The exact location of the annual meeting and time will be announced later.
The Award Committee:
- · Prof. Na Young Kim (University of Waterloo), Chair
- · Prof. Taekjip Ha (Johns Hopkins University)
- · Prof. Philip Kim (Harvard University)
- · Prof. Kyoungchul (KC) Kong (University of Kansas)
- · Prof. Sung-Won Lee (Texas Tech University)